Super nutty and lemony thumbprint cookies. Chewy inside and crisp edge, soft and tangy lemon chia filling. Super easy to make and for people who love lemon this is perfect !
Not only are they great for a holiday snack, but is can be an all year around treat.
Like cookies in general? Then check out these:
Makes about 40 cookies
- 2.5 dl whole raw almonds (1 cup )
- 2.5 dl rolled oats (1 cup)
- 1.3 dl granulated sugar (½ cup)
- 1.2 dl melted vegan butter / margarine (½ cup)
- 1.2 dl plant milk (½ cup)
- 60 ml sunflower oil (1/4 cup)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 60 ml chia seeds (1/6 cup)
- Zest from 3 organic lemons
- Juice from 3 organic lemons (yield 1.9 dl / 3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
What you will need
- 1 grater
- 1 knife
- 1 small pot
- 1 whisk
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 blender
- 1 big bowl
- 1 spoon to stir
- 1 small bowl + microwave / or 1 small pot (melted butter)
- 1-2 baking trays
- Baking paper or silicone mat
- Measure the chia seeds and put in a small pot. Grate the zest of the lemons and add it to the seeds.
- Chop the lemons in half and squeeze out the juice. If easier juice in a separate bowl, take out the seeds and then add to the pot.
- Bring to a boil while constantly whisking. When thick like a jam turn of the heat and add in the agave. Set aside for later.
- Put the raw almonds in the blender and blend until evenly fine, but still with a slight texture. Transfer to the bowl.
- Add in the oats, sugar, vanilla sugar and the salt. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a small pot. Add to the dry ingredients along with the oil. Mix well. Let rest for a few minutes, the oats will soak up a lot of the butter.
- Then add in the plant milk and stir.
- Then add in the flour and knead it to a pie-like shiny dough, just incorporate it, no need for a long knead. Put in the fridge and preheat the oven to 180c (350 F).
- Prepare a baking tray with baking paper or a silicone mat.
- After a little rest is the fridge take out the dough. Shape the dough into small balls, about 4 cm in diameter (about 1.5 inch). I fit 25 cookies on a 35 x 45 cm (14 x 18 inch) tray. You might fit all on one baking tray that’s bigger, if not then bake the first batch, and the next afterwards.
- Makes indents with your thumb into each cookie creating a crater for the filling. Fill the cookies with about a teaspoon of the lemon filling.
- Bake the tray in the middle of the oven, in a preheated oven at 180c (350 F), on normal setting for about 20-25 minutes. Continue the steps with the second tray if you have one. For more gewy, bake for 20 minutes, for a bit more crisp bake for 25, but it really depends on the oven, keep an eye on them.
- Take out at let cool down.