This healthy fruity dessert is guaranteed to impress at a dinner party.
This is my alternative take on the spring rolls, and wouldn’t it be fun to serve the savoury spring rolls as a main course and then the sweet dessert version afterwards?
Makes 15 rolls
- 15 rice papers
- 2 bananas
- ½ pomegranate
- ½ mango
- 1 apple
- 1 handful Physalis
- 1.2 dl cashews (½ cup)
- 50 g dark vegan chocolate (1.7 oz)
- 50 ml almond milk (1.7)
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 Glass for mango
- 1 Glass for water
- 1 plate to wet
- 1 bowl for chocolate
- 1 bowl for cashews
- 1 fork
- 1 measuring cup
- Microwave or small pot
- Measure 50 ml almond milk and pour in a bowl.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and put in the same bowl.
- Microwave for about 1 minute and stir with the fork to melt the chocolate, so it becomes a smooth chocolate dip. Let rest is the fridge.
- Take ½ cup cashews and blend. It’s okay if there’s a few bigger chops, it only makes it taste better.
- Cut the fruit to similar sizes as seen above or as you please to put in the rolls.
- Place 1 rice paper on a plate.
- Fill a cup with lukewarm preboiled water that’s cooled down. Dip your hand in the water and transfer a generous amount of water to the rice paper to fully wet it, turn around the rice paper and wet it on the other side as well. The paper should soak up the water within 20-30 seconds, and meanwhile you can arrange the exotic fruits on the roll.
- Rolling technique as seen in the video above. It’s not the exotic fruit as pictured, but the ingredients for my Vegan Vietnamese Summer Spring Rolls, but the technique is the same.
- Only use little of each fruit to allow the rice paper to be rolled twice. One slice of mango, banana etc. Start with the mango and banana, they’re the softer and not sharp. Then add your apple, since it has sharper angles. Then add on top the other rounder or softer ingredients. This will make it easier to roll tight and will prevent the roll to break from the sharper ingredients.
- Fold the two sides first, then take the small part in front of you and fold over the top of the two side folds. Pull the vegetables in your palm tight while doing the last fold, and fold the whole roll over until there’s no more paper showing. While you're rolling you can tighten it more as you go. Now the first roll is done, transfer it to a clean plate to let dry. Don’t worry if the rice paper still feels wet, it will soak up the water in no time.
- Continue to make the rest of the rolls.
- You can cut the rolls on a sharp angle and serve them with the angle up, this makes a good presentation.
When you have finished making the rolls, refrigerate them until you serve them, or serve them straight away with the dark chocolate dipping sauce and the blended crunchy cashews.