Very thick and creamy roasted soup ! Optionally you can water it down more, but it supposed to be very thick and filling !
If you have seen more of my soup recipes you might have noticed that I am very keen on roasting my veggies before souping them. They just get such a good flavour from the roasting that you wont otherwise get in a traditional boiled soup.
The main star is the carrot in this soup, and to mellow and water it down tomato is used along with plant milk, and actually it does not taste much like tomato at all, but the aftertaste is a bit tomatoey, which is a nice twist on the dominant carrot. The tahini is an ingredient that you should not miss out on, it really makes a difference.
Like soups in general? Check out these:
- Vegan Roasted Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Roasted & Creamy Tomato Soup
- Hearty Vegan Miso Soup
- Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Rice Noodle Coconut Green Curry Soup
- Raw Vegan Gazpacho
- Vegan Beet Root Cucumber Soup
- Vegan Lasagna Soup
- 700g carrots (1.5 lbs)
- 700g tomatoes (1.5 lbs)
- 0.7 L unsweetened plant milk of choice (3 cups)
- 3 yellow onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes and seeds (optional for heat)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Fresh herbs of choice
- Sesame seeds
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 baking tray + baking paper
- 1 pot 2L or bigger (0.5 gallon)
- 1 spoon to stir
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cup
- 1 stick blender
- Preheat the oven to 200c (390 F).
- Wash the carrots well, no need to peel them. Chop of the ends, half the carrots if they’re big, then slice them down the middle. Arrange on a baking tray with baking paper, evenly spaced out. Bake in a preheated oven at 200c (390 F) in the middle of the oven at normal setting for about 40 minutes.
- Peel and roughly chop the onions and garlic. Put in the pot with the oil, ginger, cumin, chili, salt and pepper. Turn the heat on high and sweat the onions.
- Wash and roughly chop the tomatoes. Chop of the hard end where the stem was attached. Add to the onions. Bring to a simmer on medium heat with the lid on, stir occasionally.
- When the carrots are roasted add them to the pot with the plant milk, tahini and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer on medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and blend smooth with a stick blender. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed. Serve with fresh herbs and sesame seeds.