Thick creamy soup with charred yellow and red bell peppers, spiced with onion, garlic, chili, balsamic vinegar and lemon, made creamy with a plant based cream and topped with caramelized leeks and pine nuts.
Can serve 2 very large portions or 3 medium sized ones, optionally it can be thinned down a little bit to make 4 since it’s a very thick soup. I like my soups thick as they’re more filling and have more texture, but thinning it down with some water and a little bit more dried vegetable stock is definitely possible, and it will still be a soup with texture and not too thin.
Serves 2-4 (depending on thickness of soup desired)
- 1.5 kg red and yellow bell peppers (3.3 lbs)
- 200ml soy cream (6.8 oz)
- 4 yellow onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamico
- 1 teaspoon dried vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon Himalaya salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grind black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes and seeds
- Lemon juice to taste
- 2 leeks / 500g (1.1 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter / margarine
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon Himalaya salt
- Pine nuts
- Fresh parsley
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Drizzle of balsamico
What you will need
- 1 oven rack + baking paper
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 big pot + spoon to stir
- 1 stick blender
- 1 pan + spoon to stir
- Measuring spoons
- Preheat the oven to 180c (350 F).
- Wash the bell peppers. Put on an oven rack with baking paper. Bake in the preheated oven at 180c (350 F) in the middle of the oven on normal setting for about 30-35 minutes or until they look slightly charred.
- Peel and very roughly chop the onion and garlic. Add to a big pot with the olive oil, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Turn heat on high and cook until the onions are translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Take out the bell peppers when roasted. Carefully cut open the peppers and remove stem and seeds. Add the bell peppers with as much liquid as possible to the pot along with the soy cream, dried vegetable stock and balsamico. Bring to a simmer on low with a lid on. Stir occasionally.
- Chop the ends off the leeks and peel the first layer off. Cut down its long side and wash until completely clean. Chop into thin slices and add to a pan with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Sweat until translucent on high heat stirring often.
- When translucent add in the vegan butter and sugar. When fully caramelized add lemon juice to taste, turn heat off and set aside.
- Roughly chop the fresh parsley and add to the soup. With a stick blender blend it smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste along with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Serve soup topped with the caramelized leeks, pine nuts, fresh parsley a drizzle of olive oil and balsamico. Goes well with garlic bread as well.