I guess you have never seen tofu fluff balls before, have ya? Well, here they are, oven roasted firm tofu cubes, soft inside, slightly crisp outside, and then they marinade in that flavourful soup and soak it up like a sponge !
Asian inspired autumn sweet potato soup with lots of fresh ginger and garlic, spring onion and cilantro. Creaminess from the coconut milk and some bite from the chilli and lime. Very brothy and herbal.
Serves 5-6 people
- 1 kg sweet potato (when peeled) 1.2 lbs
- 1 L of water (33.8 oz)
- 400ml full fat coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 250g firm tofu (8.8 oz)
- 3 red onions
- 3 stalks of spring onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2-3 thumbs of ginger (equal amount as the garlic when grated)
- 10g fresh cilantro leaves (0.35 oz)
- 3 tablespoons neutral tasting vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoon dried vegetable stock
- Zest from 1 lime
- Juice from 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grind black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes + seeds (very hot)
- Spring onion
- Lime wedges
- Sesame seeds
What you will need
- 1 big pot + spoon to stir
- 1 cutting board + knife
- 1 vegetable peeler
- 1 oven rack + baking paper
- 1 measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Preheat the oven to 200c (390F).
- Drain the tofu well. Cut into about 2.5 cm cubes (1 inch). Place on baking paper on a baking rack and bake in a preheated oven on 200c (390F) on convection in the middle of the oven for about 20-25 minutes. Halfway through take out, flip and put back in again.
- NOTE: Take out when JUST puffed up, if it stays too long it becomes too chewy. When it just puffed, it´s perfect and spongy and floats in the soup, it will be slightly crisp, but this will soften once in the soup.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into about 2.5 cm cubes (1 inch). Put into the big pot with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Peel the red onion and very roughly chop then add to the pot. Turn heat on high and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel the ginger and garlic. Grate both, then add to the pot with the water, chili flakes, dried vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. When simmering put on a lid and the simmer low for about 15 minutes (stirring on occasion).
- Then add in the coconut milk and soy sauce. Finely chop the spring onion and cilantro. Add to the pot. Zest in the lime and add the juice in as well. Mix well and add in the tofu fluff balls. Put on a lid and bring to a simmer on low, simmer for 5 minutes, this will soak the tofu fluff balls and make it ready for serving.
- Serve with spring onion, cilantro, a squeeye of lime and sesame seeds.