Battered and roasted tofu, purple mini aubergines, purple and orange skinned carrots, red onion, charred red curry, served with rice noodles and topped with yellow cherry tomatoes and fresh cilantro. If you want colour in your dinner this is it !
If you don´t have a grill pan, fear not, just chop the aubergines in half and bake with the tofu in the oven, then add at the same time as in the recipe.
Tofu and marinade
- 250g firm tofu (8.8 oz)
- 2 tablespoons potato starch (or cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 400g Asian mini aubergines (14.1 oz)
- 250g purple carrots (8.8 oz)
- 250g rice noodles (8.8 oz)
- 120ml water (1/2 cup) (or as much until desired sauciness)
- 1 red onion
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 10g freshly chopped cilantro (0.35 oz)
- 5 -6 tablespoons red vegan curry paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (x 2)
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Yellow cherry tomatoes as needed
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 bowl
- 1 baking tray + baking paper.
- 1 grill pan (optional)
- 1 wok + spoon to stir
- 1 strainer
- Measuring spoons
- Preheat the oven to 200c (390 F).
- Drain and cube the tofu. Put into a bowl with the marinade. Mix well and put into a lined baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven on 200c (390 F) in the middle of the oven on normal setting for about 16-18 minutes. Take out when golden and slightly crisp.
- (optional) Wash and half the aubergines. Grease a grill pan with oil and grill the aubergines flat side down. Let cook on medium high heat a few minutes on each sides until grill marks appear. Take off the pan and set aside.
- Peel and chop the onion and ginger. Wash the carrots and chop them diagonally. In a wok add in the oil, red curry paste, sweet soy sauce, ginger, red onion and carrots. Sweat on medium high heat for about 5-8 minutes or until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice noodles to a bowl, pour over boiling water, let sit for a few minutes until al dente. Strain over the sink. Wash well to get the starches out and drain well. Add to the wok with the water, freshly chopped cilantro and golden tofu.
- Fry for a few minutes while stirring. Add soy sauce to taste if needed. Serve with fresh cilantro, sesame seeds and yellow cherry tomatoes.