“There’s a party in my mouth and everyone is invited” - quote from my husband when first eating this. He was very happy.
It’s an explosion of mixed flavours. Refreshing raw zucchini, the sharpness and herbiness of the cilantro and garlic, but rounded by the roasted aubergine, enhanced with the flavourful miso and nutritional yeast. Super herbal with a twist of lime. Then topped off with sweet and savoury glazed tofu, soft and fluffy but with a crunch and sticky outside shell. Sprinkled with healthy sesame seeds, fresh cilantro and chopped red chili for that extra kick!
This dinner is great both cold and warm. When just made, the Asian fusion pesto is warm, so is the tofu, but the zoodles aka the zucchini noodles are cold and refreshing. The hot sauce and topping mix well with the cold zoodles. Even if you wait until the tofu and pesto cools down it tastes great, so its good if you want it on the go for a dinner or lunch out.
Needless to say, if you’re one of those unfortunate people that experience cilantro / coriander as having a soapy flavour this will be your nightmare, I feel you, I feel bad for you, it’s not your fault, it’s genetic ! But for all of us that LOVE this herb, this is amazing !
It’s so easy to make and I am addicted to this lately. It’s easy to double/triple up the portion size, then store the tofu and pesto separately in the fridge, then you just need to spiralize the zoodles when you want to eat, so simple and easy !
- 1-2 zucchini*
*depends on the size of the zucchini and how big you want your portion size to be
- 1 big aubergine
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves (20g)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon shiro miso paste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon plant oil of choice
- Juice from ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Tofu & marinade
- 180g ready made tofu squares (6.5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoons rice vinegar
- A sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped red chili
What you will need
- Baking paper or silicone mat
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 bowl
- 1 fork
- 1 grater
- Measuring spoons
- 1 spiralizer
- 1 pan
- Line a baking tray, cut a little cross on the aubergine and roast it in the oven on 200c (390 F), in the middle on normal setting for about 35-40 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the glazed tofu.
- In a pan put the tofu and all the marinade ingredients. Turn the heat on high, stir on occasion. When brought to a simmer turn the heat to medium.
- Continue to cook until the liquid has soaked up and evaporated leaving the tofu sticky, shiny and glazed. This can take some 10-15 minutes. Turn the heat off and put aside.
- Take the aubergine out of the oven. When safe to handle cut open and scrape out the meat with a spoon. Put into a bowl.
- Peel and finely grate the garlic into the bowl, with the oil, miso, nutritional yeast, lime and pepper. Mix and mash everything with the fork.
- Wash the cilantro well. Very finely chop it and add to the bowl. Mix everything well. If needed add some salt to taste, but it might not be necessary, the miso and cilantro adds a salty flavour.
- Wash the zucchini and spiralize them. Making enough for 2 servings. Depending on the size of the zucchini you could use everything in between 1-2 zucchini, you judge how much you need by how big they are and big you want your portion size to be. I used medium sized zucchinis and used 1½ zucchini for 2 good sized servings.
- Divide the zoodles evenly on two plates, pour over the aubergine miso cilantro pesto and top it with the glazed tofu and sprinkle with sesame seeds, fresh cilantro and chopped red chili.