Add a tropical twist to your breakfast and dessert, or even use this as a topping on spicy coconut curries for a little sweetness and fruitiness. Super easy and quick to make. The exotic jam ! This jam is also used as a filling in the Vegan Piña Colada Cupcakes.
It´s best to use a stick blender, specially with blending super hot stuff like jams and also soups, etc etc. A normal blender can be used as well, but please be careful, most blenders have a fully closed environment while blending, and blending something hot in it will quickly make more steam and blow the lid off and make all the hot liquid explode everywhere.. I did this with a hot soup once, my scolded hands will never forget it, haha.. So please only use a blender when the sugar and the pineapple have fully cooled down, then its ok ! Safety first you know :)
Like jams ingeneral? Then check these other jams:
Makes about 250 ml / 8.5 oz
- 3.5 dl freshly chopped pineapple (1½ cup)
- 2.5 dl granulated sugar (1 cup)
- Juice from ½ a lemon
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 small pot + fitting lid
- 1 spoon to stir
- 1 stick blender
- 1 sterilized glass jar
Sterilizing jars and timing
- The jar should be clean, sterilized and hot when the jam is finished, so prepare it while the jam is cooking.
- Wash your glass jar in hot soap.
- Boil the rubber closure (if any) for a few minutes separately.
- Put the glass (without the rubber if any) in the oven on 140°c (280°F) and bake until dry.
- Take out just before the jam is ready, so the glass is hot and the jam is hot, this will prevent the glass from breaking when pouring the hot jam into it.
- Sterilizing is important to keep your jam from spoiling. If sterilized well a jam can keep good unopened for about 6 months. After opening if should be stored in the fridge.
- Chop the sides off the pineapple. Chop enough pineapple to fill 3.5 dl / 1½ cups. Avoid the hard core. Add to a small pot.
- Put in the sugar. Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Turn heat on medium high. Once the sugar starts to melt stir until melted, then turn the heat on very low, put a lid on and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Take off lid and then blend it with the stick blender. Optionally pulse it to gain some texture, or blend smooth like pictured. It will seem quite liquid in the beginning, but once its fully cooled down it will become thicker.
- Transfer to a hot and sterilzed jar, leaving about 2-3 cm / an inch free space on top. Tap gently to remove potential trapped airbubbles. Avoid spilling on the rim, wipe of any if so as it helps prevent the jam from spoiling. Cover with the lid, but don´t seal shut, let cool for 5 minutes, then seal shut while still hot.
If sterilzed well you can store it for up to 6 months, after opening store in the fridge for about 2-3 weeks.
- Eat like you would any jam; on newly baked bread, toasted bread, waffles or pancakes, or use it as a filling in these Vegan Piña Colada Cupcakes.