This is a very herbal gravy, super great flavour from the fresh sage, savoury notes from the vegetable stock, soy sauce, miso and balsamico. Freshness from the orange and warmth from the cinnamon and nutmeg. It has the sweetness from the maple syrup and all the flavours are well balanced together. The taste of autumn and winter !
Perfect for any dinner with mashed potatoes, potatoes, baked sweet potato or as I have, used it to gravy up the Vegan Wellington Roast, it goes great with that !
Makes about 300 ml (10 oz)
- 2.5 dl unweetened plant milk of choice (1 cup)
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter / margarine
- 2-3 tablespoons white organic flour
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Juice from ½ fresh orange
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon balsamico
- 1 teaspoon shiro miso
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 small pot
- 1 whisk
- Spoons to measure
- Finely chop the fresh sage leaves. I used 2 sprigs for 2 tablespoons chopped.
- In a small pot put in the sage, vegan butter, orange juice, ketchup, soy sauce, vegetable stock, balsamico, shiro miso, mustard seeds, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Turn the heat on high. Let the butter melt completely while whisking.
- When everything is melted add in the flour. If you want the gravy thicker add in 3 tablespoons, if you want it less thick add in 2 tablespoons. Constantly whisk and let the flour incorporate to a thicker mass on lower heat.
- Let the mass fry for a minute, then add in the plant milk and maple syrup. Whisk very well until everything is mixed and there’s no clumps. Bring to a simmer. Stir on occasion.
- Let it simmer for a few minutes, then its ready to serve. This grave can be enjoyed with the Vegan Wellington Roast.