The recipe has to be prepared at least one day in advance if you want a super fluffy tofu that is spongy and light in texture.
The firm tofu is usually very firm and not fluffy when bought, and by taking it out of the package and water, draining it and then freezing it in a bag will freeze dry it and make it much more spongy. Then the tofu needs to be thawed in the fridge, and then drained again for the excess water. This is optional though, but trust me you will love this method !
The taste of the sauce is super tropical, mango and coconut, with some optional spice and garlic sharpness makes this a perfect side dish for any exotic main course. The tofu is fluffy, but has a crisp edge and then drowned in sauce for exotic taste !
Serves 4 as side dish
- 500g firm tofu
- 1.2 dl breadcrumbs (½ cup)
- 60 ml vegan coconut yogourt (1/4 cup)
- ½ fresh mango
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 0-1 small red chilies (optional for spice)
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grind pepper
- Chopped spring onions
- Sesame seeds
What you will need
- 1 freezer and a freezing bag (optional for fluffy tofu)
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 small bowl
- 1 baking tray + baking paper / silicone mat
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- 1 blender
- 1 microwave or small pot
- (optional but recommended) Take the tofu out of the package and drain it. Put into a freezing bag and put in the freezer overnight. Take out the next day and thaw it in the fridge. When fully thawed press excess moisture out of the tofu as best as possible without breaking the tofu.
- Preheat the oven to 200c (390 F).
- Chop the tofu like pictured into small cubes.
- In a bowl put in the breadcrumbs. Take a few tofu cubes at the time and cover with the breadcrumbs. Continue to do so will all the tofu and transfer them to a baking tray with baking paper or a silicone mat.
- Bake in the oven at 200c (390 F), in the middle on normal setting for about 30 minutes or until slightly darkened and crisp. Meanwhile prepare the sauce.
- Peel the 1 mango as pictured. Roughly chop and add to the blender. Peel and roughly chop the garlic, chop the chilies and add to the blender with the coconut yogourt, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the sauce in a small pot, or put into a bowl and heat in the microwave. Use what you prefer.
- When the tofu is fully baked take out of the oven. Pack the tofu together and put over the sauce, flipping it and turning it to cover all sides.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and sesame seeds (optional).