Many vegans miss cheese. That’s just a fact. But grieve no longer, this vegan grilled cheese is easy to make and the only odd ingredient is a good vegan cheese.
You might already have a favourite one that you like. I use the classic Wilmersburger cheese, it melts and tastes soooo much like real cheese !
I use sour dough bread. In general all sour dough bread is vegan, using just water, yeast flour and salt. You can also use some other bread if you like just make sure it’s vegan, but this bread makes this grilled cheese just a little bit better.
I’m in heaven when I make and eat this. I usually eat this for breakfast, but I love this as an evening snack as well, or even for lunch, it's one of those odd foods that just can be eaten at any time of the day really !
Serves 2 grilled cheese
- 2 slices of good sourdough bread
- Vegan butter or margarine
- Vegan cheese slices (as much as you prefer)
What you will need
- Cutting board and bread knife
- 1 butter knife
- 1 cheese slicer
- 1 pan
- 1 spatula
- Slice two pieces of good sour dough bread and butter it with some vegan butter or margerine.
- Cut the two pieces in half and turn one side around, so the buttered side is facing down.
- Slice as much vegan cheese as you like and put on one side of the bread, I do a double layer.
- Put the other slice of bread on top and bake on a pan, on low heat. Use low heat for the bread to toast perfectly and the cheese to melt as well. Too high heat gives you burned bread and no melted cheese.
- After a few minutes flip the bread with a spatula and bake for another few minutes on the other side.
- When finished the bread should be crispy and golden, and the cheese fully melted.
- Eat with dipping like ketchup or other preferred dip.