The sauce is spicy enough to be a curry, but subtle enough for you to taste the sweetness of the mango, and when you bite into the marinated and baked tofu you can really taste the marinade as well. Subtle but really good. My husbands loves this dish and is fishing for the tofu bites in the sauce and steals my tofu on the plate, haha ! So I think it´s approved !
The important thing here is to use a very ripe mango, if it´s not ripe the sauce will taste really funky.. if you don´t have a ripe mango wait for it to ripen, or substitute with canned mango pulp (yield a little less than a cup, or about 2 dl).
Like curries in general? Then Check out these recipes:
- Vegan Curried Balls & Rice / Boller I Karry
- Vegan Tofu Yellow Coconut Curry & Rice
- Vegan Seitan Sweet Potato Kofta Makhani
- Vegan Punjabi Style Palak Tofu ‘Paneer’
- Vegan Red Thai Coconut Curry
- Sweet Potato Chana Masala
- Rice Noodle Coconut Green Curry Soup
Tofu and marinade
- 500 g firm tofu (17.6 oz)
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 600 ml full fat coconut cream (20.3 oz)
- 1 ripe mango
- 200 g carrots (7 oz)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 red onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon minced lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon minced kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried vegetable stock
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Soy sauce to taste if needed
- 6 servings of jasmine rice
- Fresh cilantro
- Spring onion
- Sesame seeds
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 big bowl
- 1 oven rack and baking paper
- 1 vegetable peeler
- 1 grater
- 1 wok + spoon to stirring
- 1 bowl and stick blender OR 1 blender
- (optional) Freeze the tofu a day ahead, that out when fully frozen and thaw in the fridge. Makes for a better texture tofu that´s much fluffier and spongy when drained.
- Preheat the oven to 200c (390 F).
- Drain the tofu well. Cube them and transfer to a mixing bowl and add in the marinade. Mix gently to fully cover the tofu in the marinade. Arrange on a baking tray with baking paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 200c (390 F) in the middle of the oven on convection for about 18-20 minutes.
- Slice the two fruity halves off the mango avoiding the big seed. Peel them with a glass. This saves as much mango as possible. Cut additional mango off the seed avoiding the peel. Blend smooth. Set aside.
- Peel and julienne the carrots. Peel and roughly chop the red onion. Core and julienne the red bell pepper. Peel and grate the ginger and garlic. Add to a wok with the oil, turmeric, cumin, coriander and dried vegetable stock. Turn heat on high and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the mango pulp and full fat coconut milk and bring to a simmer on low with a lid on. Take out tofu when golden. Add to the wok with the minced lemongrass, minced kaffir lime leaves and lime juice. Add soy sauce to taste if it needs to be saltier.
- Serve the mango coconut tofu sauce with jasmine rice, fresh cilantro, spring onion and sesame seeds.