Granted, the colour is not the most appealing. BUT ! you can always say: "It's That Grey Stuff from Beauty and the Beast from Walt Disney, when Belle is eating at the table at when Be Our Guest song is playing. Some might say it could be something meaty and gross instead, foie gras or something, it might be, and no one actually knows what The Grey Stuff is, so this is my vegan version and interpretation of The Grey Stuff !
First note, it’s a bit piquant, the raw garlic and spring onion gives that kick of spice, and then the sweet rounded aftertaste of the caramelized red onion hits your tongue. Perfect combination.
If you prefer the spread to be mostly caramelized with no kick, then add the spring onion and the garlic when you caramelize the red onions.
This is a healthy spread to use in sandwiches, burgers, wraps or as a dip.
Add as much liquid as you prefer before blending, you can make a super thick spread or a smoother softer spread. I prefer something kind of in the middle, but that’s just a texture preference you can adjust to your liking.
This spread is used the Sweet Potato Caramelized Pear Wrap.
Can be spread on homebaked buns such as:
Makes about 500 ml – 16 oz
- 2.5 dl sunflower seeds (1 cup)
- 3 red onions
- 5 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine / vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 stalks of spring onion
- Plant milk as needed (optional)
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 bowl
- 1 pan
- 1 spoon to stir
- 1 strainer
- 1 blender
- 1 tight lid storage glass / jar
- Measure the sunflower seeds and put them in a bowl and fill it up completely with water. Let soak for about 1 hour.
- Roughly chop the red onions, size does not matter, they’re gonna get blended anyway. Transfer to a pan with sugar, oil, margarine, salt and pepper and turn the heat on high. Stir occasionally.
- Continue to fry / caramelize the onions until they’re sticky and golden. Then turn off the heat and set aside until the sunflower seeds has fully soaked.
- When fully soaked, strain the seeds over the sink and put them in a blender.
- Then add the caramelized onion, garlic cloves, roughly chopped spring onion and tahini in the blender. Depending on how long you have soaked the sunflower seeds you might wanna add some plant milk to get the consistency that you prefer for a spread. I used a couple tablespoons of almond milk to smooth it out.
- Blend until smooth and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Be like Belle and eat it on a cracker, you could even be super extra and pipe it onto the cracker for that Grey Stuff look.