Purple blackberry cupcakes, with a natural colourant from the fresh blackberries blended into the batter, the vegan cream cheese frosting is also coloured light pink from the blackberry used in the frosting. Purple and pink cupcakes, can it get better than that really? and a beautiful fresh blackberry on top.
I made these for my own birthday, as blackberry is one of my favourite berries. I’m a bit of a berry freak, I looooove all kinds of berries, but specially the blackberry have a sweet place in my heart ! And don’t these cupcakes just look too cute?
Like cupcaked in general? Check out these:
- Vegan Carrot Cupcakes & Cream Cheese Frosting
- Vegan Lemon Cupcakes & Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes & Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 16 cupcakes
- 5½ dl white organic flour (2 1/3 cups)
- 2.5 dl granulated sugar (1 cup)
- 1.2 dl rolled oats (½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 200g fresh blackberries (7 oz)
- 2.5 dl unsweetened almond milk (1 cup)
- 1.2 dl melted margarine (½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons neutral tasting vegetable oil
Pink cream cheese frosting
- 400g vegan cream cheese (14.1 oz)
- 500g powdered sugar (17.6 oz)
- 1 fresh blackberry
- Fresh blackberries
What you will need
- 2 big bowls
- 1 blender or stick blender + bowl
- 1 measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- 1 whisk
- 16 cupcake molds and paper linings
- 1 oven rack
- 1 piping bag + nozzle of choice
- Preheat the oven to 180c (350 F).
- Measure all the dry ingredients and put into a big bowl. Mix everything well with a whisk.
- In a blender put in the blackberries and the almond milk. For a fine texture blend until smooth, if you don’t mind small chunk of berries then pulsate a little bit. Add to the dry mixture.
- Melt the margarine. Add to the dry ingredients with the neutral oil. Whisk well until everything is very well combined and no dry spots of flour is prevalent.
- Prepare 16 cupcake molds with paper linings. Fill up the cupcakes with the batter so it fills up to just below the edge.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180c (350 F), in the middle of the oven on normal setting for about 25 minutes, or until they look puffed up and a toothpick comes out clean when testing if they’re fully baked. Meanwhile prepare the frosting.
- In a bowl put in 1 fresh blackberry. Smash it to a wet texture. Add in the vegan cream cheese and the powdered sugar. Mix gently with a fork until its just combined. Don’t mix it roughly as the cream cheese gets more liquid as it gets stirred, just combine it gently. Add the frosting to a piping bag with a nozzle of choice. Let rest in the fridge, this will make it stiffen more.
- When the cupcakes are fully baked take them out of the oven and let cool down completely (!) before frosting them.
- Note: the frosting should be kept refrigerated, if you frost all the cupcakes then let them sit in the fridge until serving (the frosting will hold its shape well, so if you have space it’s ok), or as I often do, keep the cupcakes sealed in a bag on the counter, keep the frosting in the piping bag in the fridge and just pipe them when I want to eat them.
- Serve with a fresh blackberry on top.