Super fluffy buns, super sweet, salty and crunchy on the outside and sooo soft on the inside, fluffy and airy. Light and delicious !
The sweet potato is incorporated mashed, which makes this dough the smoothest you have ever felt a dough, and this shows in the result as well. It gets a beautiful colour from the sweet potato and the taste is different than the ordinary bun.
Can be enjoyed with:
- Strawberry Jasmine Peach Jam
- Vegan Roasted Garlic Butter
- Caramelized Red Onion Sunflower Spread
- Vegan Sweet Potato Hummus
If you like these buns and the extra added vegetables, you might also like:
- Vegan Herbal Carrot Buns
- Vegan Spinach Buns - Popeye Buns
- Vegan Beet Root Buns
- Vegan Sweet Pumpkin Buns
- Vegan Cinnamon Rolls / Cinnabuns
Serves 14-16 big buns
- 600g sweet potato (1.3 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 dl plant milk (1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon lin seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 11g dry yeast (1 pack) (0.4 oz)
- 13 dl organic white flour (5½ cup)
- 1.2 dl plant milk (½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Sesame seeds
- Salt (optional)
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 vegetable peeler
- 1 big Pot
- 1 strainer
- 1 big bowl
- 1 fork
- Baking paper or silicone mat
- 2 baking trays
- 1 cup to measure
- 1 Brush
- Peel the sweet potato and chop it in medium sized chunks. Boil then in a pot with water and a teaspoon of salt for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the sweet potatoes when they’re soft and mushy. Transfer to the big bowl and add plant milk, salt, pepper and all the seeds and sugar. Mash with a fork until smooth.
- When the sweet potato is lukewarm add the yeast, stir and let sit for about 10 minutes to let the yeast wake up.
- Add two cups (5 dl) of flour and stir until the dough starts to form.
- Start kneading the dough with clean hands, adding 1 cup of flour (2 dl) at the time. At about 3-4 cups (9-10 dl) in, the dough feels super smooth and soft. Then transfer the dough to a clean table top.
- Keep adding the flour and kneading it, the dough will soak up all the flour very fast while kneading, you need to add all the 5½ cups (13 dl) of flour. Knead for about 5-10 minutes.
- When all the flour is incorporated the dough should feel velvety smooth. Cover with a bit of flour and put back in the big bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for about 30-45 minutes, or until the dough risen to double the size.
- When the dough has doubled its own size, put the dough on the table top, gently knead it and cut into 14-16 evenly sized pieces.
- Shape all the buns in your hands, and place them on the two oven racks with baking paper or a silicone mat. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for about 30-45 minutes, or until the buns have doubled in size.
- In a cup mix the plant milk and maple syrup. When the buns have doubled in size glaze them with a brush and sprinkle them with sesame seeds and freshly grind salt.
- Bake the buns one tray at the time, bake in a preheated oven at 200 c (390 F) on normal setting, place the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Take out of the oven after 25-30 minutes or when golden and let cool down. Bake the other rack afterwards.
Specially good eaten with the Vegan Garlic Butter or the Strawberry Jasmine Peach Jam.