Warning: if you want the sausages in this recipe they need to be prepared 24 hours in advance. The recipe for the sausages are the same as used in the Vegan Hotdogs / Carrot Dogs.
Vegan scrambled eggs, vegan bacon, baked beans, carrot sausages, Homemade Tomato Ketchup, baked tomato and red onion. Need I say more? This is the ultimate English breakfast, classic, heavy and hearty, but all vegan !
If you haven't heard of Kala Namak before it the important flavour in the scrambled eggs to mimic the taste of real eggs. It's also called Himalaya black salt ans is a rock salt, and it gets it eggy small from the sulfur content in the salt, and it REALLY does smell like eggs, quite odd.
The sausages too are quite convincing and meaty in taste, if made in the correct way, if boiled too little they won't soak in the marinade and get the right texture, so follow the steps carefully to get a good convincing vegan sausage.
The vegan bacon can be tricky to handle, but once you get the hang of it its quite easy. Just be careful when soaking the rice paper that not all are stuck together. But double or triple rice paper layers is good, it's gonna give you that authentic feeling, crispy edges, but also that softer inside texture.
- 250g firm tofu (8 - 9 oz)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon kala namak salt
- ½ cup plant milk
- 2 tablespoons white organic flour
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Salt to taste
Rice Paper ‘Bacon’
- 2 rice paper sheets
- The leftover marinade from the sausages
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 4 Vegan Sausages: use recipe from Vegan Hotdogs / Carrot dogs
- 360g baked beans (12 – 13 oz)
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- Homemade Tomato ketchup
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 ovenproof dish
- 1 pan
- 1 tong
- 2 plates
- 1 scissor
- Kitchen paper
- 1 big bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 spoon to stir
- 1 small pot
- 1 measuring cup
- Spoons to measure
- Peel and half the red onion. Wash the tomatoes, leave the stalk on. Put in an ovenproof dish. Bake in the oven at 200 c (390 F) in the middle of the oven for about 35-40 minutes on normal setting.
- Make sure you have the sausages ready-marinated. In a pan drizzle some plant oil, place the carrots and turn the heat on high. With a tong flip the carrot so it gets cooked evenly all around. Meanwhile prepare the vegan bacon.
- Pour some of the sausage marinade in a plate along with the smoked paprika and mix it. Take the 2 rice paper sheets and cut them in long strips at the same time. Soak the double sided strips in the marinade. They have to be fully wet before putting on the pan.
- When the sausages are finished place them in the oven with the tomatoes and onion.
- Drizzle more oil on the pan if needed and fry the vegan bacon strips. The pan has to be oiled, or else the bacon will stick to it. Fry on both sides for about a minute or two until they are crisp on both sides.
- Prepare a plate with kitchen paper. When the bacon is done place on the paper for it to soak in the excess oil. Do the same with all the bacon until everything is cooked.
- In a big bowl crumble up the firm tofu. Add in the turmeric, kala namak and pepper. Mix everything well.
- In a smaller bowl add in the plant milk and the flour. Stir until fully mixed.
- Put the tofu and the wet mix in the pan (just use the same pan) with the oil, turn the heat on high. Stir occasionally and fry for about 5-10 minutes. The texture should still be slightly wet and sticky when finished.
- In a small pot add in the white beans in tomato sauce. Turn the heat on high. Stir on occasion.
- Just before the scrambled tofu and the baked beans are ready, you can put the vegan bacon in the oven to heat up again. In the oven you should now have the tomatoes, onion, sausages and bacon all warm, and on the stove the baked beans and scrambles tofu ready.
- Serve on two plates with Homemade Tomato Ketchup for that extra something and make someone very happy in the morning with this grand breakfast ! Add extra salt to the scrambled eggs if needed.