The perfect sushi. Cool and refreshing, savoury and vegan. Need I say more?
These ingredients that you see you can adjust as you prefer. You can make smaller hoso maki rolls, with only avocado or cucumber in the roll, or make a full sized maki roll with all the ingredients.
You can also make them inside out rolls with sesame seeds on the outside for an alternative roll.
Like Asian inspired food in general? Then you also might like these Asian dinners:
- Vegan Sweet & Sour Sauce with Tofu & Veg
- Hearty Vegan Miso Soup
- Vegan Red Thai Coconut Curry
- Tofu Zucchini Stir Fry
- Miso Wasabi Glazed Zucchini & Rice Noodles
- Vegan Vietnamese Summer Spring Rolls
- Rice Noodle Coconut Green Curry Soup
Serves 9-11 rolls
- 500g sushi rice (1.1 lbs)
- 700 ml water (3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1.2 dl rice vinegar (½ cup)
Fillings (optional how much you like)
- 9-11 seaweed sheets
- 1 pack of tofu
- 2 carrots
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful sprouts
- 3 spring onions
- ½ mango
- ½ cucumber
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- Sesame seeds
Dippings and sides (optional)
- Pickled ginger
- Soy sauce
- Teriyaki sauce
- Sweet chili sauce
- Nuac Cham Chay Sauce
What you will need
- Sushi mat
- Saran wrap / kling wrap
- 1 pot
- Spoon to stir
- Bowls for ingredients (optional)
- Take sushi rice in a medium sized pot. Add the water and one teaspoon of salt.
- Put the heat on high and bring the pot to a boil with the lid on. When the water is boiling turn the heat on lowest and let simmer for about 5-8 minutes. Do not lift the lid at any time.
- After 5-8 minutes of simmering, turn the heat off and let the pot sit for about 15 minutes, without lifting the lid.
- After 15 minutes you can lift the lid and add the sugar and rice vinegar and mix. Let the sushi rice cool down completely in the fridge.
- Chop the carrots, cucumber and bell pepper in long thin sticks.
- Take the peel off of the half mango as shown in the video. Then cut the mango in long thin sticks.
- Chop the spring onions thinly on a sharp angle.
- Cut the half red onion in half, then chop it very finely in half moons.
- When you have cut the avocado in half, take out the big seed, and then cut the avocado in the shell in shin slices. With a spoon you can scoop out the slices of perfectly cut avocado and put in a bowl.
- Wash the sprouts and put in a bowl.
- Prepare the tofu on the oven or on a pan in thin stalks, unless you have ready made tofu.
- Take a sushi bamboo mat and cover it in saran wrap. This with prevent the sticky sushi to stick to the mat. The mat should be placed with the lines horizontally in front of you, so when you roll it rolls towards yourself, not the side.
- Normal Maki / Put the seaweed sheet on the mat first, then place rice in a thin layer over the roll, leaving about a centimetre space with no rice in the bottom. Place your fillings of choice in a long row horizontally on top. Start rolling the mat on top of your fillings and squeeze tight. Keep rolling until you have no more left and squeeze tight again.
- Hoso Maki / Same method as the normal maki roll, but put less rice since the hoso maki is much smaller rolls. Put one or maximum two ingredients inside and roll.
- Inside Out / Put your rice on the mat first where you normally would put it on the maki roll, but then place the seaweed sheet afterwards. Then put in you fillings of choice, roll and squeeze tight. You can roll the inside out roll in sesame seeds afterwards.
Make all the different rolls as you like, not all rolls have to be the same, or with the same fillings. Often if there’s less filling, its easier to rolls, and also to eat in one mouthful.