Hearty and heavy, meaty and savoury! Nutty flavours lifted by the leeks and the meatiness from the soy granules gives an authentic meaty feel to the roast.
Wrapped in fluffy puff pastry with that sweet glaze. Packed with flavour and a great substitute for the meat dish on a special day.
Perfect for wintertime, Thanksgiving and Christmas !
- 230g ready made vegan puff pastry (8-9 oz)
- 400g vacuum packed chestnuts (14 oz)
- 180g ready made unmarinated soy granules (6.5 oz)
- 2.5 – 3.5 dl bread crumbs (1 – 1.5 cups)
- 2 leeks
- 3 onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2.5 dl unsweetened plant milk (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch freshly grind nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon plant milk
- Fried sage leaves
Side dishes (optional – pictured)
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 big pan
- 1 spoon to stir
- Spoons to measure
- 1 blender
- 1 big bowl
- 1 little bowl
- 1 brush
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic. Add to the pan with the soy granules, plant milk, oil, ketchup, soy sauce, dried vegetable stock, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and nutmeg. Turn the heat on high and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally.
- Wash and the leeks and take the first outer layer off. Chop of both ends. Chop it down the long side, then finely chop the leek all the way down. Ad to the pan when its simmering. Turn the heat to medium and continue to cook. Stir on occasion.
- Put the chestnuts in the blender and blend until it has a texture similar to that of bulgur. Then add to the pan. Let simmer for 5 minutes while stirring. The texture should be quite thick in the end before putting in the bowl.
- When thick add to the bowl. Add in the bread crumbs and use your spoons to mix is as much as possible. Add in the breadcrumbs as needed, you might not use everything, it depends on how watery the mixture is from the leeks etc etc. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- When the dough is safe to handle, knead it with clean hands on a clean tabletop. Form a longer breadshaped mass with rounded edges.
- Roll out the puff pastry. The one I use is round and 33cm (13 inches) in diameter. Place the roast in the middle.
- Preheat the oven to 180c (350 F).
- Cut 14-15 straight lines from where the roast starts. Do the same on the other side. Fold in the outer part. The take one strand and fold over the roast, then one from the other side. Continue until the roast is fully braided. Transfer to a baking paper or baking sheet on an oven rack.
- Mix the marinade in a small bowl and brush it onto the roast.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 180c (350 F) on normal setting for about 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- (optional) Fry the fresh sage leaves. Take the leaves of the sprigs. Put in a pan with a generous amount of oil and salt. Fry until crisp. Lay on a plate with paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- Take the roast out of the oven when golden and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Can be served with fried sage leaves, Vegan Sweet Sage Gravy and Roasted Glazed Romanesco & Brussels Sprouts.