For the garden lovers with green fingers. We all seem to have a gradient of colours of tomatoes in fall. Do you have tomatoes that just did not ripe in time at the end of the season? Fear not, we all have the gorgeous green tomatoes, and there´s plenty of delicious foods and condiments to make from them.
This is a flavourful green tomato chutney with the sweet and tart taste and flavours of raisin, ginger, onion, chilli, kaffir lime and cilantro. When cooked this harmony of flavours brings together a heart warming chutney with a taste of fall and winter. Perfect on home baked warm bread, as a dollop of goodness on any main course over the fall and winter months.
Makes about 900 ml (30 oz)
- 600 g unripe green tomatoes (1.3 lbs)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 0.8 dl granulated sugar (1/3 cup)
- 80 ml apple cider vinegar (1/3 cup)
- 0.8 dl golden raisins (1/3 cup)
- 10g fresh cilantro (0.35 oz)
- 1 thumb of fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced kaffir lime leaf paste
- 1 teaspoon green chilli sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 medium sized pot + spoon to stir
- 1 measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Tight lid glass jars for storage
- Wash all the tomatoes and let dry. Finely chop them and discard the hard stem part. Add to a pot.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and ginger.
- Add to the pot with the oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar, raisins, kaffir lime leaf paste, green chilli sauce, salt and pepper. Put all ingredients in at once except the fresh cilantro.
- Turn heat on medium high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. When simmering turn heat to the lowest and simmer with a lid on for about 20 minutes.
- When the chutney is saucy and thick add in the cilantro and simmer for another few minutes. Let cool down.
- Sterilize your glass jars by pouring boiling water over them or give them a boiling bath in a big pot. Add in the cooled chutney and seal tight.
- Store in the fridge. If proper sterilized it will keep good for months in the fridge sealed tight and unopened. When opened it will stay good for a month or so.