I kind of a bad vegan since I don’t eat much salads, I’m such a savoury person, as much as I often eat leftover dinner for breakfast.. Not a big traditional breakfast person either.. Haha.. but when I do eat salads it gotta be interesting, and often I add fruits and nuts more than I add veggies, it just gives such a good freshness to the salad ! Something fruity and sweet with the savoury is a good twist.
This is a Middle Eastern inspired version of a salad with a Mediterranian twist, a fusion salad made of delicious fried fennel with oregano and cumin, crunchy apple, gorgeous red pomegranate, green parsley and ruccola and lots of healthy walnuts and figs. Drizzled with a tangy balsamic vinegar dressing with a tasty olive oil, sweet agave and kick from the lemon juice.
The taste of spring and summer, super refreshing, fruity and nutty salad with a kick from the dressing. Great as a side dish for a BBQ night, or even as a main course for 2 people on hot summer day.
One thing to note, I didn't picture the dried figs as I forgot them, and first added them after the photo shoot.. Woops ! I went a little too fast there, but certainly add them as they add a nice sweet taste and some great texture as well !
Like salads in general? Then check out these
Serves 4 as side dish
- 1 fennel
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 red apple
- 150g walnuts (5.3 oz)
- 50g ruccola / rocket (1.8 oz)
- 1 handful curly parsley
- 1 handful dried figs
- 2 tablespoons balsamico
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 small bowl
- 1 big bowl
- 1 pan + spoon to stir
- Measuring spoons
- Wash the fennel, chop the leafy parts off and the hard bottom. Slice it in half and then chop each half into slices.
- Put onto a pan with the oil, cumin, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat on high and fry for about 5-7 minutes until the fennel is tender. Flip them occasionally. When tender turn heat off and set aside.
- In a small bowl put in all the ingredients for the dressing, balsamico, olive oil, agave syrup and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Stir together and set aside.
- Wash and chop the apple as pictured and put into a big salad bowl along with the walnuts.
- Chop the ends of the pomegranate and peel it, gently take out all the pomegranate seeds discarding the white ‘walls’ of the pomegranate. Add to the salad bowl.
- Chop the stiff ends off the dried figs, chop them into smaller pieces and add as well.
- Wash and finely chop the crop the curly parsley. Soft green stems are ok, harder stems should be cut off. Add to the salad.
Wash and drain the ruccola / rocket well. Add to the bowl along with the fried fennel. Give it a good mix and add in all the dressing, giving it another toss to combine the dressing evenly.