A pretty and protein rich snack or side dish, baked to become caramelized and slightly crisp. Fluffy tofu inside and with sweet and sour exterior, thick sauce of sweet and sour without the cornstarch. Here used cornflour instead, it wont become glossy and clear, but still become thicker. Now, this way of thickening the sauce is not ideal without baking it, as the cornflour can taste through, but when baked it works great as giving the tofu a thicker glaze.
If you don’t wish to dip the tofu triangles in Nouc Cham Chay Sauce or soy sauce, you can optionally sprinkle some salt on top before serving. The finished glazed tofu is not very salty so the sauce makes up for that, so its recommended to have a dipping for them.
I ate all of this in one sitting alone, so it's kinda great, haha !
Serves 4 as side / appetizer, 2 as good snack
- 500g firm tofu (17.6 oz)
- 120ml pineapple juice (½ cup)
- 80ml rice vinegar (1/3 cup)
- 1 dl brown sugar (0.4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon ginger syrup
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2.5 tablespoons corn flour
- Sesame seeds
- Spring onions
Dipping sauce (optional)
- Nuoc Cham Chay Sauce
- Soy sauce
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 small pot
- 1 whisk
- 1 measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- 1 small bowl
- 1 oven rack + baking paper
- 1 tong or 2 forks
- Drain the tofu well.
- Preheat the oven to 200c (390F).
- Measure all the ingredients for the sauce, except the corn flour, and put into a small pot.
- Turn the heat on high and bring to a simmer while whisking, then turn heat to medium.
- Put the cornflour in a small bowl. Add some of the warm sauce to the bowl and whisk until everything is well combined, to make the slurry.
- Add the slurry to the pot, whisk continuously until the sauce becomes thick. Turn heat off and set aside.
- Chop each block of tofu in 3 equal slices on its long side. Then chop each peace into squares like pictured. Chop each square into two triangles.
- Prepare the oven rack with baking paper. Dip each tofu triangle into the sauce with a tong to cover completely, let excess sauce drip off, be careful not to break the tofu. Place on the baking paper. Continue to do so with all the tofu.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200c (390F), in the middle of the oven on normal setting for about 20-22 minutes. Then take out of the oven, flip the tofu, optionally cover with the remaining sauce and bake again for about 20-25 Minutes, or until they look slightly crisp on the edges.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with chopped spring onion.