Yeah it kinda looks like alien food.. but also kind of cool looking ! Haha.. Hasselback roasted aubergine (eggplant if you wish), on a bed of sticky rice, loaded with glazed minced seitan and snap peas, garnished with fresh spring onion.
If you like this dish you might also like the General Tso´s Tofu & Glazed Mini Zucchini, as the sauce is very similar in taste.
- 2 aubergines (600g / 21.2 oz)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Sprinkle of salt
- 200g seitan mince (7 oz)
- 100g snap peas (3.5 oz)
- 240 ml water (1 cup)
- 1 red onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 4 tablespoons vegan hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons potato starch (or corn starch)
- 1-2 tablespoons whole Sichuan peppers (then grounded, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried vegetable stock
- 4 servings of sticky rice
- Spring onion
What you will need
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 baking tray and baking paper
- 1 pan and spoon to stir
- 1 small bowl for slurry
- Measuring spoons
- 1 mortar and pestle or spice grinder
- 1 pot for rice
- Preheat the oven to 200c (390 F).
- Wash and dry the aubergines. Half them down the long side. Slice the aubergine hasselback style, do not slice it all the way down, as it should still hold together. Place on a baking tray with baking paper. Oil them and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 200c (390 F) in the middle of the oven on normal setting for about 45 minutes. Wait to make the sauce until 10-15 minutes before the hasselbacks are done, its quick to make.
- Peel and chop the onion, garlic ginger. Add to a pan with the oil, ground Sichuan pepper, ground and dried vegetable stock. Sweat on medium high until translucent.
- Add in the soy sauce, hoisin sauce and water. Bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl add in the potato starch and a little bit of water. Mix well until smooth. Add to the sauce. Stir sauce until thick.
- Add in the seitan and snap peas. Bring to a simmer on low. Only simmer for a few minutes so the snap peas still have some bite to them. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Take out hasselback when done and serve with sticky rice, the glazed seitan and snap peas and garnish with fresh spring onion.